Frequently asked questions


I would like to be involved in your association, what can I do?

MHUARI is a research institute and its members are specialized into underwater archaeology and maritime history. We have the capacity to welcome other specialists whose interests are similar to ours. We also have partnerships with various local, regional and provincial institutions.

The admission of new members is based on our needs as well as the curriculum of the candidate(s).

How can I become an archaeologist specialized in underwater and maritime heritage?

As of today, there is no specialized program in Quebec for underwater archaeology. Most students can receive diving training outside their university curriculum and participate in various excavation project, often on a voluntary basis, to continue their learning. Some archaeologists can also undergo the professional diving training at the Institut Maritime du Québec. Specialized training is also offered at international universities.

MHUARI has been discussing with various stakeholders since 2016 to provide interested students with a suitable training structure to specialize in underwater archaeology, but the project is still ongoing.

I would like to become an archaeologist, what are the programs?

There are multiple paths you can follow. First, according to the current cultural heritage laws in Quebec, an archaeologist is recognized as someone who hold at least a master’s degree in archaeology or a related discipline with a specialization in archaeology.

In Québec, there are several universities that offer a bachelor’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, history, or geography. Most of these programs also offer a master’s and a doctoral degree.

It is also possible to study abroad, but a knowledge and understanding of Quebec archaeology is crucial. The Association des Archéologues du Québec has a detailed section on its website.

I have found an archaeological site, what should I do?

In Quebec, the law on culture heritage aims to promote the protection, the enhancement and the transmission of knowledge. This law provides a legal status to archaeological heritage elements.

Anyone who discovers an archaeological site, with or without an archeological permit, must report their discovery to the Ministry of Culture and Communication. A discovery notice must then be completed and sent to the bureau of archaeology.

If you believe you have discovered a new archaeological site or an artefact, MHUARI can assist you with your declaration. You can contact us at:

For more information (In French):

I am a recreational diver and I would like to participate in your project, what can I do?

It is currently not possible for us to accommodate recreational divers on our excavation. There are several laws, standards, as well as health and safety regulations that govern the practice of diving. As of today, thee regulations are incompatible with the presence of recreational divers whose training and qualifications are not recognized by the various institutions that regulate our work. 

I would like to discuss a project with you, where can I start?

There are multiple aspects and steps to develop an archaeological project, it is easier to send us an email to discuss it!